The Jody Jazz HR* (pronounced HR star) hard rubber mouthpiece produces a beautiful warm sound with free blowing ease.
This saxophone mouthpiece features a round, medium size chamber. The HR* is suited for traditional jazz, big band, straight-ahead and bebop, but also has enough power for more modern styles. This is a favourite of band directors for its ability to blend in with a section.
What is the Jody Jazz HR* Alto Sax Mouthpiece?
The HR* is a hard rubber saxophone mouthpiece aimed at professionals and students looking for a traditional versatile mouthpiece. High quality control standards, a beautiful warm sound and a nice free blowing feel make these new mouthpieces amazing players. This may well be the best hard rubber alto saxophone mouthpiece on the market.
The Jody Jazz HR* alto sax mouthpiece has a round chamber which provides a round sound in contrast to a more focused sound which a square chamber provides. This allows the HR* to sound very pretty and the medium chamber allows the piece to have very good projection when pushed.
Players who now or in the past have played Meyer, Otto Link, Bari, Vandoren, Yanigisawa, or any of the straight ahead hard rubber jazz mouthpieces out there will be sure to love The Jody Jazz HR*. The differences come from Jody Jazz’s particular facing curve, the exact size and shape of the chamber and their commitment to quality control.
Warmth & Beauty
Jody Jazz only uses genuine, authentic hard rubber so the HR* Series has the look, feel and sound of the vintage hard rubber sax mouthpieces that have always been the most highly sought after. These mouthpieces are created on Jody Jazz’s state-of-the-art 5-axis CNC machine and then meticulously hand finished and play tested.
Special Notes on the HR*
Expect the Jody Jazz HR* alto saxophone mouthpiece to play just slightly brighter than traditional Meyers and Otto Links. This is due to the slightly smaller chamber.
Many different sounds are possible on the JodyJazz HR* hard rubber alto mouthpieces. Here are some suggestions:
- For classical playing, try the C* or 5M model with a relatively hard reed.
- For a sound similar to Paul Desmond, use a HR* 5M or 6M with a harder reed than you might normally use. Play softly and you will hear that beautiful sound with a hint of air it.
- For a sound more like Cannonball Adderley, use a 5M, 6M, or 7 with a softer reed to get that nice jazzy buzz in the sound.
These are just broad suggestions. The real answer about sound is for you to experiment and find out what works for you.
- Jody Jazz top seller!
- Beautiful warm tone, blends well.
- Hand finished baffle, tip rail and table.
- Tip openings:
- C* = .066 inch
- 5M = .072 inch (1.8288 mm)
- 6M = .078 inch (1.9812 mm)
- 7M = .083 inch (2.1082 mm)
- 8M = .090 inch (2.286 mm)
- 9M = .100 inch (2.54 mm)
- Material: hard rubber.
- Chamber: round medium.
- Suitable for: traditional jazz, big band, bebop, concert band.
- Comparable players: Jeff Coffin, Kenny Garrett, Joshua Redman, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderley, Sonny Rollins, George Garzone, Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, Chris Potter.
- Includes deluxe mouthpiece pouch.
- Ligature and cap NOT included.