The Jody Jazz JET Tenor Sax Mouthpiece is a bright saxophone mouthpiece with excellent projection and extra easy altissimo register. Yet, it can be played with a warm, versatile feel. It is a free blowing, easy and fun to play mouthpiece that captures the full range of tonal qualities of the instrument. It has a clean, focused sound with strong projection and cut, while maintaining extraordinary versatility. The JET is a great saxophone mouthpiece that appeals to a very broad variety of players.
What is the Jody Jazz JET Tenor Sax Mouthpiece?
The Jody Jazz JET has a clean, focused sound with strong projection and cut, while maintaining extraordinary versatility.
The JET is excellent for Rock, Funk, Blues, Smooth Jazz and Latin Music, Reggae, Ska, Hip Hop, Top 40, Duranguense, Merengue, Salsa, Cumbia, Compa, Tejano, and Musica Popular Brasileira. At the same time, many tenor sax players will be surprised at how well it plays lead alto in a big band. Due to its versatility, the JET blends nicely with a concert band or saxophone quartet. In other words, the JET is a great saxophone mouthpiece that seems to appeal to a very broad variety of players.
Special Notes on the JET
Due to the shorter facing curve on the Jody Jazz JET, a softer reed than you might normally use could be appropriate. This is because the reed actually has less length in which to vibrate. This doesn’t hinder playing at all. In fact, it makes the JET one of the greatest altissimo pieces of all time. Altissimo still works great with a slightly softer reed.
The main message is that anytime you are trying a new mouthpiece, two things are very important: finding the right reed for the mouthpiece, and making sure that while you try the mouthpiece, you are in tune. Don’t assume that it will go on the neck in the same place as your previous mouthpiece. In fact, the JET pushes on further than many mouthpieces.
- Clean, focussed, bright sound.
- Free blowing with an easy altissimo register.
- Responsive low end.
- CNC machined.
- Hand finished baffle, tip rail and table.
- Shorter, proprietary facing length.
- Tip openings:
- 6 = .090 inch (2.286 mm)
- 7 = .100 inch (2.54 mm)
- 7* = .105 inch (2.667 mm)
- 8 = .110 inch (2.794 mm)
- 9 = .120 inch (3.048 mm)
- Material: proprietary polycarbonate alloy.
- Chamber: small horseshoe shaped.
- Suitable for: Rock, Funk, Blues, Smooth Jazz and Latin Music, Reggae, Ska, Hip Hop, Top 40, Duranguense, Merengue, Salsa, Cumbia, Compa, Tejano, and Musica Popular Brasileira.
- Comparable players: Michael Brecker, Kenny G, Maceo Parker, David Sanborn, Kirk Whalum, Gerald Albright, Karl Denson, Candy Dulfer, Mike Smith, Eric Marienthal.
- Ligature and cap NOT included.